Whats The BUZZ about Bees?
Here's 10 facts why bees matter
1. The honey bee is the only insect that produces food we can eat.
2. The ancient Egyptians used honey and beeswax for many uses. Honey was used as food, medicine, and to preserve the dead. Beeswax was also played an important role in magic rituals, preserving, and as medicine.
3. It's estimated that cross-pollination from bees helps 30% of the world’s food crops and 90% of wild plants to grow. That means, without bees, most of the plants, including food and native plants, would go extinct.
4. In the US, bees pollinate over $15 billion worth of crops. This includes our favorites like apples, berries, cantaloupes, cucumbers, alfalfa, and almonds.
5. In the US, bees produce about $150 million in honey every year.
6. Since 2006, nearly 1/3 of all honey bee colonies in the US have dissapeared due to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), a disorder caused by a combination of global warming, loss of habitat, pesticide exposure, invasive parasites, and inadequate food supply
7. The average worker bee produces 1/12th teaspoon of honey in her lifetime!
8. To make just one pound of honey, approximately 768 bees must fly over 55,000 miles and visit 2 million flowers.
9. A colony of bees consists of 20,000-60,000 honeybees, and just one queen. The worker bees are all female. They will live for about 6 weeks and do nothing but work.
10. If you're afraid of death by bees, have no fear! It takes about 1,100 bee stings to kill a human.
Crops that will Disapear Without The Honey Bee
270 Mack Road Bangor, PA 18013